“Women’s Courses of Higher Education” Institute was established in 1872 and the library was opened to public in 1873. Both teacher and students took part in formation of the library by donating either money or books and periodicals to it. Sometimes scientists were selling their private libraries to WCHE library. Books written by WCHE teachers were also added to the library fund. As a result, nowadays MPGU has a large collection of rare books, many of which are scientific, historical and cultural literary monuments.
Since 1993 MPGU was funding, conserving and restoring rare books and in 2016 the University created Rare Book Department. Overall, there are more than 40,000 items in the collection.
The collection consists of:
933 items from private book collections
More than 1500 items of books and textbooks for children
2431 items of almanacs and periodicals of the 18th, 19th and 20th Centuries.
Access to the Department is free and no special permission is required.