Observatory

The observatory is located in the centre of Moscow. It was opened for demonstrating optical devices by E.S. Tryndin in 1904. In 1921, great scientific work began there, a solar-eclipse expeditionary group was sent to Murmansk. In 1924, the Interplanetary Society which was the first not only in our country, but also in the world started its activity at the observatory. An active participant in the research of the Interplanetary Society was famous scientist and inventor F.A. Zander who worked on the creation of a jet-engine at that time. Today the AVR-2 telescope, the third-biggest stationary telescope in Moscow, has been set under the observatory’s dome in the observation platform of the Faculty of physics and information technology.

Contacts

E-mail: observ@mpgu.edu